The Cape - Roof top <span class="highlight">tent</span> or Ground <span class="highlight">tent</span>

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 20:55
ThreadID: 44086 Views:3833 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up the Cape soon with family (2 youngsters in tow) Wife concerned about crocs and camping etc, She would like any information regarding camp grounds near crocs in a tent on the ground, as opposed to camping in a roof top tent well away from the crocs. Any information appreciated. I figure the extra $ spent on roof top could be spent elsewhere on trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol (Aust.) - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:15

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:15
yakodi
I went through the same thing with my wife, we depart in May for the Cape with our Touring tent, not a rooftop. We did a lot of question asking as you are now doing and then we looked at all the pro's and con's and at the end of it all we decided on the tent.

Pro roof top: security, ease of site selection (if the car is level so is the tent), easy to set up.

Pro tent: easy to set up, ground level for safer entry exit, we can leave the tent set up, during our time away from camp, lighter than roof top, requires less fuel.

As long as you follow crocwise procedures I feel that you are safe in a tent. Camp next to a river (within 25-50mtrs) that is known to have crocs in it then you may have difficulties.

At the end of the day it's your decision but weigh up the pro's and con's that suit you.

Above all else enjoy your trip.
Colin.
AnswerID: 232188

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:23

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:23
yakodi
I have read where one has invaded a tent in NQ , my survival instincts tell me on top or in the car

Site Link
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 232189

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Aust.) - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:33

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:33
Doug T
That article suggests that most croc attacks are associated with alcohol consumption.

If you are P1ssed you will have little hope of getting up the ladder to your roof top and therefore are sleeping on the ground and likely bate for the lizards. Have I got it right mate.LOL
Colin
FollowupID: 493113

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:50

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:50
I reackon you have git it by the Bawls ,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 493116

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 12:02

Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 12:02
>That article suggests that most croc attacks are
>associated with alcohol consumption.

I didn't know crocs imbibed?

Nothing more dangerous than a tipsy croc! :)
FollowupID: 493157

Reply By: yakodi - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:59

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 21:59
Maybe a touring tent and a rifle. Thanks for your advice.
AnswerID: 232192

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 12:03

Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 12:03
Shotgun with solid shot - semi auto if your licence allows.
FollowupID: 493158

Reply By: Boldjack - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 22:08

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 22:08
When you see the documentaries about crocodiles and someone feeding them with a chunk of meat at the end of a rope held 2 or 3 metres above the water (and training them to leap out) and grab it. I don't see how climbing up the side of a 4x4 is much of a problem if they have a mind to do so.
Not that I'm trying to worry you (On Patrol) loflmao.
Cheers Boldjack
AnswerID: 232194

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 22:20

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 22:20
I did the cape in a tent with my daughter (24) and at NO time was I concerned about croc's ................. walking the creeks prior to crossing THAT was something else lol ...... Of course camping at the waters edge would not be a very smart thing but if CROC wise there should be no problems. I mean if you catch fish and clean at your camp you are asking for some issues with the lizards.

To be honest I would be more concerned about the young kids not being croc wise than camping in a tent.

Go and enjoy its a great place

Brian

AnswerID: 232197

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 23:50

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 at 23:50
Save your money. By choosing sensible camp site locations you will have no problems with crocs. The few people that are taken are often swimming where they shouldn't, cleaning fish on the banks, have dogs close to the water or camp on the edge of the river. The track up the Cape basically follows the main divide north so in the dry season the majority of fresh water creeks you cross particually on the OTL wouldn't have a croc in anyway, in fact you'll see heaps of people swimming in them. Area's to be a little more cautious would be Lakefield National Park, Bathurst bay, Jardine river or any coastal camps. By far the majority of people touring the Cape sleep on the ground in tents & swags.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 232206

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 00:03

Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 00:03
Hi Yakodi,
There are plenty of camps up at the Cape are chosen because they are either Crocless or they are above a steep bank that Crocs will not/cannot climb. Last year I spent a fair bit of time at Pandanus Park camping on the ground on the banks of the Normanby River (plenty of crocs around) with about 200 or so Vietnam Vets. The location is ideal because the crocs don't climb that side of the river - well mostly don't climb that side. (and the local knowledge was very useful).
Having said that - the croc attacks in that area over the last few years have been one guy in a canoe on the Normanby near Pandanus and an attack on the beach at Bathurst Bay if you see the locations you can understand how and why the attacks occured. One can increase the risk by camping on beaches and on some of the camps near the crossings of some of the estuarine waterways and Rivers like the Normanby and the Jardine. There is a great spot on the old Jardine Crossing that is about level with the water too pretty not to stay there, just keep well away from the water and preferably have somebody tastier than you between you and the river.
I always carry a couple of infra-red motion detectors (about 3"x2" from dick smith for $30 or less) for those rare times when my paranoia is greater than the weight of my eyelids.
Much of the time you will be inland or near the OTL and the rivers and camps there are quite safe (despite the odd tour guide who may choose to give his party a thrill by secretly telling them you are swimming where a croc was once seen (about 20 years ago).
You have lots of choices of where to camp and you will work out the safest places.

Oh and by the way we took 3 kids up and managed to bring em all back with their appendages attached.

Have a great trip

cheers
Kerry W
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 232207

Reply By: Topend - Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:49

Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:49
We purchased a rooftop tent for this reason. We will still take our Freedom tent and will mostly still use this.

I have often wondered about walking a water crossing before driving it. My plan was to wait for another vehicle to cross if I thought walking was a bit risky with the crocs.

I live in the NT topend and see tourist do some silly things in croc waters.

Topend.
AnswerID: 232215

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 09:05

Sunday, Apr 08, 2007 at 09:05
I did 7 trips to CapeYork last season. My pasengers all sleep in tents, like most tour guides we roll out our swag as far from them as possible. Snoring tourists are more threatening than crocs. Your best crocodile defense is common sense where you camp. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 232230

Sponsored Links